Vaccination tips for parents and childminders.
Some vaccine-preventable diseases that can make healthy adults sick for a few days or weeks could prove deadly to young children, whether they are our own, our grandchildren, nieces, nephews or wards.
Yes, we can be a health hazard to the little ones, especially those who are too young or too weak to get vaccinated. So, be the bigger person and get yourself vaccinated.
- Children are 2-3 times more likely than adults to get the flu.
- They cannot be vaccinated until they are six months or older.
- Yearly vaccination is recommended because the virus is constantly changing.
- Vaccination is recommended only if you missed this vaccine as a child.
- 1 in 75 infected adults will develop paralytic poliomyelitis.
- Outbreaks are still happening around the world (including Pakistan and Indonesia).
Pertussis or Whopping Cough (Part of Tdap vaccine)
- Whooping cough in babies can lead to death.
- 80% of cases in children are acquired from household members, with mothers accounting for 30 – 40%.