Stay well and independent for the time of your life
As we grow older, our immune systems tend to weaken. No wonder some of us fall sick more easily and more frequently than we would like. The symptoms are often more severe and it takes us longer to recover. Serious complications are also a real possibility. So, too, is the risk of dying as a result.
Vaccine-preventable diseases can rob us of our independence and zest for life, and turn us into a burden that our loved ones have to bear. However, there is good news – with vaccination, it is possible to age well and live out your years with love, joy and dignity.
- 90% of influenza deaths occur among the elderly.
- Yearly vaccination is recommended because the virus is constantly changing.
Pertussis or Whooping Cough (Part of Tdap vaccine)
- The elderly act as a reservoir for the disease and can easily infect children.
- 80% of pertussis cases in children are acquired from household members.
Pneumococcal Disease (PnD)
- The elderly are 10 times more likely to suffer from PnD.
- 30-40% of cases result in death.
Zoster or Shingles
- 1 in 3 people will develop shingles.
- You can suffer from shingles more than once.
- Post-herpetic neuralgia is a known complication that can:
- Last for months or years.
- Cause depression because of prolonged pain.
- Be expensive to treat.